Archive for October 2022
ACA Welcomes Wine Industry Professional Sunny Gandara as CiderCon® 2023 Keynote Speaker
The American Cider Association welcomes wine industry professional Sunny Gandara, DipWSET, CWE as the featured keynote speaker for CiderCon® 2023. Sunny is the former Global Wine Director for the Mathew Kenney Restaurant Group and the founder and owner of The Plant Curious Table, a digital dual-purpose education and wine consulting company. Sunny has nearly 20 years of experience in the food and wine industry with a focus on plant-based foods. Her expertise is connecting with “plant curious” clientele over her wine knowledge. She is a Certified Wine Educator and Specialist of Spirits through the Society of Wine Educators and a holder of the WSET Diploma. She is a professionally trained chef through the Institute for Culinary Education (ICE) in New York and a Vinitaly Italian Wine Ambassador.
According to the Plant Based Foods Association, “one-third of Americans are actively reducing their meat and dairy consumption. While a small number of Americans identify as vegetarian or vegan, flexitarians represent the largest growth opportunity for plant-based foods.” 60% of Gen-Z wants to eat more plant-based foods and 79% eat plant-based 1-2 times a week. This is where Sunny’s “plant curious” lens can help open new markets up for cider.
As the keynote speaker, Sunny will explore vegan market growth and trends, who plant-based consumers are, why cider is perfect for this growing group, and how to market to these consumers.
CiderCon® 2023 will take place in Chicago from January 31 to February 3, 2023, at the beautiful Hilton Chicago. Early registration closes November 9. Learn more about all our fantastic speakers at www.ciderassocation.org.
Nielsen Q3 2022 Data Now Available
Regional Cider Brand sales were up 11.3% in U.S. retail channels measured by Nielsen for the 12-week period ending on October 1, 2022. For more Q3 data, log into your ACA membership account and visit our members-only report library.
Spooky Cider Cocktails
Live Sensory Analysis Webinar with Ploughman’s Cider
Looking to up your sensory analysis skills? Studying for the Certified Pommelier™ Exam at CiderCon® 2023? Join our Certified Pommelier™ panel in a live practice sensory webinar featuring cider from Ploughman’s Cider on November 17 from 4-6pm Pacific. Cost to attend the workshop is $15 for ACA members and $30 for non-members.
This webinar will also be available to rewatch and practice as a prerecorded event.
Ploughman’s has generously created a limited time Sensory Analysis Bundle for this webinar. You can purchase the cider bundle here.
Virginia Cider Trail Fall Events
Fall has officially arrived and apple harvest season is in full swing across Virginia! To celebrate, cidermakers across the state are hosting harvest festivals, pressing parties and cider release events. They would like to invite you to join in their celebrations of the cidermaking season with orchard parties and more. Check out the list below to find a fun event in your neck of the woods or one further afield if you’re looking for a fall weekend getaway!
- October 14: Harvest Release Party & Foodlore Friday at Troddenvale Cider
- October 15: 6th Anniversary Harvest Party at Blue Bee Cider
- October 15: Pomona Party at Cider From Mars
- October 15-16: Fall Festival at Coyote Hole Ciderworks
- October 15-16: Harvest Fest & Sunday Brunch at Courthouse Creek Cider
- October 15-16: Bryant’s Fall Festival at Bryant’s Cider & Brewery
- October 22: OkTOADerfest 2022 at Blue Toad Hard Cider
- October 22-23: Haunted Trail at Coyote Hole Ciderworks
- October 29: Halloween Street Party at Tumbling Creek Cider Company
- October 29: Halloween Dance Party at Stable Craft Brewing
- October 29-30: Haunted Trail at Coyote Hole Ciderworks
- November 5: 22nd Annual Apple Harvest Festival at Albemarle Ciderworks
- November 5: Apple Harvest Festival & Makers Market at Sage Bird Ciderworks
- November 11: Buskey Hewes Crab Cider Release Party at Buskey Cider
- November 11: Cider Smackdown at Albemarle Ciderworks
- November 12: Apple Butter Festival at Bryant’s Cider & Brewery
- November 12: Lake Anna Cider Festival at Coyote Hole Ciderworks
- November 12: VA Cider Week Kick-Off Party at Cider From Mars
- November 19: Cider & Sides Dinner with Henway Hard Cider
- November 19: Harvest Hoedown at Potter’s Craft Cider
We hope you’ll take the time to visit one or more of these fantastic fall events and learn more about Virginia apples and the ciders made from them. And don’t forget to check in on your Virginia Cider Trail Passport for a chance to earn prizes!