Celebrating Women’s History in the Cider Industry
Happy International Women’s Day!
What is this day for? International Women’s Day is a day to bring awareness to the lack of gender equity on our planet. Where does the U.S. fall in gender equity progress? The gender gap in pay is one measure of dynamic inequalities–just last year, U.S. “women earned 82% of what men earned, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of median hourly earnings of both full- and part-time workers.” (Pew Research) Researchers also found that this number hasn’t changed much in 20 years.
As a cider industry, we can take steps to ensure we are part of progress on gender equity. Here are a few ways your cidery can lead the way on gender equity in hiring and HR:
- Post all jobs with a pay rate.
- Avoid using gendered pronouns in job descriptions.
- Evaluate your pay scales for equality–are people earning the same wage for similar positions?
- Use established skill-based assessments to promote.
- Invest in making sure your company and your establishment are taking proactive steps to prevent gender-based violence and discrimination.
- Increase women and non-binary representation in leadership and decision-making teams.
In what ways are you promoting gender equity at your cidery?
Did you miss Dr. J’s presentation at CiderCon® on Retaining Great Talent? Her tips are useful for recruiting and retaining a talented gender-diverse workforce. Check out her slides here.
Celebrate Women’s Voices
The cider industry has an extremely talented community of women doing incredible work. We’re celebrating International Women’s Day by sharing some of their stories with you. And to double the celebration–all these stories were written by women beverage journalists and storytellers! Enjoy this collection of recent publications by women, about women, and for cider!*
Cider Chat Podcast by Ria Windcaller –ACA 2023 Significant Impact Winner
Prohibitchin’ Newsletter by Beth Demmon
Courage and Other C Words by Jenn Martell
- Cidermaker Q&A: DOPE Cider House and Winery with Malaika Tyson –ACA 2023 Significant Impact Winner
- Women Making Waves in the Cider World: Elizabeth Ryan of Hudson Valley Farmhouse Cider by Malaika Tyson
- Women Making Waves in the Cider World: Gretchen Esbensen of Shoal Draft Cider by Malaika Tyson
- Meriwether’s Taproom Manager Mixes it Up on Netflix Series by Molly Allen
- Book Review: The Lost Orchards by Liz Copa by Darlene Hayes –ACA 2020 Significant Impact Winner
- 4 Questions with Elle Correll, Co-Owner of Buskey Cider by Stasia Brewcynski
And Some Women-Created Stories About Apples That We Love:
- From Apples to Fromage: 5 episodes of cheese and cider pairing goodness from Talia Haykin and Colleen Vidlocker
- Apple of My Eye: Foxwhelp by Lily Waite for Pellicle Magazine
- Stoke Red: Small-Town Apple Wins Big Competition by Darlene Hayes for Cidercraft Magazine
*Friendly reminder cider members–make sure you have Michelle McGrath on your press list. We want to elevate your press!
Leave a Comment