Tree Sourcing lead time for new orchard

American Cider Association Forums Orcharding Tree Sourcing lead time for new orchard

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brooke Glover
    Participant

Anyone have any idea on the latest lead time for tree sourcing? I’ve been getting mixed reports. I’ve heard reports that a 6 month lead time in ordering is necessary. Looking for insights. Thanks!

Marcus Robert
    Participant

Depends on how involved you want to be, how many trees you want, what kind of tree you’re looking for, how much money you want to spend.
    1. If you source the scion and roots, you can make the tree yourself (or hire a grafter) and be your own nurseryman. This is the least expensive method, but you can count on some attrition based on your knowledge and skills.
    2. Depending on quantity and scion availability, bench grafts are typically ordered before Jan. of the year you intend to plant.
    3. Sleeping eyes are ordered one year prior to the spring you intend to plant.
    4. 2-year old feathered trees are 2+ years out.

Hope that helps

Brooke

I sell 2 yr old trees and Marcus is right, it depends on what you want. I can answer industry questions or you can email me at sales@heritagecidersupply.com

Phil Smith

Greg Rothman
    Participant

Hi Brooke,
    I help run Cummins Nursery. We have many cider trees still available for delivery this spring. Our current inventory can always be found on our website shop.cumminsnursery.com.

We’re fairly unique in the number of cider varieties we grow on speculation, but for custom orders we need to know what you want at least a year out because that’s how long it takes the tree to grow.

Thanks,
    Greg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.