Keg Education / CCP Handbook

American Cider Association Forums Kegging Keg Education / CCP Handbook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian Rutzen
    Participant

Hello! I am on the CCP committee, and we are working with American Cider Association to create a kegging handbook for cider. I would be interested to hear what information you would like covered in this handbook. Thanks! – Brian

Aaron Homoya
    Participant

This is great. I’ve been hoping for something from the American Cider Association similar to the Draught Beer Quality Manual from the Brewer’s Association. Particular to cider, I think some focus on issues of corrosion, refermentation of sweet cider, and line cleaning (especially when using a line for both cider and beer) would be valuable.

Marcus Robert
    Participant

Here are some draft questions I get asked from accounts:
    1) Temp
    2) Head Pressure
    3) Foaming troubleshooting
    4) Pouring Technique

Steve Bradt
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    I think that issues of safety, both the safety of cidermaker’s employees and safety for the consumer should be covered. This topic can range from issues involved in safe handling, cleaning and maintenance to issues of proper monitoring of CCPs in the cleaning process. I would be happy to contribute to the effort if you see a need.

Steve Bradt
    Micro Matic Packaging Division

Jay Bradish

Brian,

I think a good topic of discussion might be around rate of flow when filling and its impact on volatile aromas and flavors such as hops, herbs and some fruit flavors. I know in first learning to keg I was being taught by a brewery and they would slow the flow rate down dramatically when filling really hoppy beers because it would blow off a lot of the aroma if they didn’t. I have seen similar impacts to cider.

Jay

Dan Young
    Participant

One topic would be the use of stainless steel on draft lines. Many beer lines have coated brass fittings that are fine with beer, but tend to corrode with higher acid ciders. It’s important to inform accounts to use stainless steel keg couplers, shanks, and faucets on their cider lines.
    Dan

Brian Rutzen
    Participant

Thank you for the incredible feedback. We are certinaly going to cover some of these items; however, I would love some help in crafting the right language for some of the other issues you raise. I am using the Brewers Association manual as a guideline fo course, but much of my focus has been dictated by the issues I have been forced to tackle on the keeping and serving side of the business.

Things like: identifying different couplers to engage among the wide variety of keg formats you will encounter, as well as the effects of different levels of pressure amongst different styles of ciders (French Keeved, English Farmhouse, American Wild Yeast) placed in different kinds of keg formats (stainless, steel cooperage, PET, key kegs, Dolium, etc). While I have helped a couple of you crazy cats on the cider making side (including filling some kegs) and can relate anecdotally, I would not have the technical know how to address some of these concerns.

If you would like to engage in a more detailed discussion, send me a note at : Brian.Rutzen2@gmail.com

Perhaps even a 10-15 minute phone conversation could get me up to speed. Now, some things may just end up being tricks of the trade and a best practices guide can be developed. remember, we are testing across disciplines (Serving, making selling, etc.) and cannot expect everyone to be a technical expert in cooperage. Indeed, some fo these issues might make for a really good Cider Con seminar next year. Maybe we can all meet up in Chicago during lunch and plant the seeds of a session that addresses these critical topics?

Thanks again for your participation! Drop me a line anytime.
    -Brian

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.