Reply To: Keg Education / CCP Handbook

American Cider Association Forums Kegging Keg Education / CCP Handbook Reply To: Keg Education / CCP Handbook

Brian Rutzen
Participant

Thank you for the incredible feedback. We are certinaly going to cover some of these items; however, I would love some help in crafting the right language for some of the other issues you raise. I am using the Brewers Association manual as a guideline fo course, but much of my focus has been dictated by the issues I have been forced to tackle on the keeping and serving side of the business.

Things like: identifying different couplers to engage among the wide variety of keg formats you will encounter, as well as the effects of different levels of pressure amongst different styles of ciders (French Keeved, English Farmhouse, American Wild Yeast) placed in different kinds of keg formats (stainless, steel cooperage, PET, key kegs, Dolium, etc). While I have helped a couple of you crazy cats on the cider making side (including filling some kegs) and can relate anecdotally, I would not have the technical know how to address some of these concerns.

If you would like to engage in a more detailed discussion, send me a note at : Brian.Rutzen2@gmail.com

Perhaps even a 10-15 minute phone conversation could get me up to speed. Now, some things may just end up being tricks of the trade and a best practices guide can be developed. remember, we are testing across disciplines (Serving, making selling, etc.) and cannot expect everyone to be a technical expert in cooperage. Indeed, some fo these issues might make for a really good Cider Con seminar next year. Maybe we can all meet up in Chicago during lunch and plant the seeds of a session that addresses these critical topics?

Thanks again for your participation! Drop me a line anytime.
-Brian